Thursday, August 14, 2008

At least one of my friends loves me enough to visit me in Russia!

Look at me! Two posts in one week!
The truth is, life has been slow. I've been feeling really under the weather and haven't had much responsibility, so I have been taking it realllyyy slowly. I have been spending most of my time sleeping and reading. I just got a bunch of new books and have read about 3 or 4 of them in just 2 weeks.

The last few weeks have been pleasant though, because we have some very welcomed visitors. Right now the "in-laws" from VA are here which has been such a delight. And last week my friend from Richmond, Sarah Beth was here. So she got me out of the house a little bit. We did a few things I haven't done before, but mostly it was just really, really nice having an old friend here.

Sarah Beth took some great pictures and I want to share some of them here. Much of the content you have seen before, but these are from different eyes, so they are captured much differently. It's like hearing two sides of a story, and I really like her version of Moscow:

Pictures from the Red Square at sunset:
Photobucket
Photobucket


Metro pictures:
Photobucket
Photobucket
The dark, steep escalator tunnel in/out of the stations

Photobucket
Waiting for the train at our station, Taganskaya

Photobucket
Lucky dog statue at the metro station of the Red Square

Photobucket
a high ceiling with a painting of the Soviet flag at the top the Taganskaya station

Photobucket
Young boy playing the accordion for money in the metro


Around the city:

Photobucket
Famous graffiti wall for a Russian musician on Old Arbat

Photobucket
Delicious looking greens at the Alexander Gardens of the Kremlin

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Sarah Beth at the KGB at sunset

Pictures from our day at the Moscow State University:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


The great part about MSU is not only the cool architecture, but this fantastic view that you get of the entire city. The campus is set upon a high hill that overlooks Moscow. Pictures of the view in another post.

Photobucket
A newlywed couple on the side of the hill, about to release some doves.

Behind them you can see the ski slope down the hill that is used, no matter what the weather.

Photobucket
The lift wasn't working so we just walked down the hill to the river.
The walk down reminded me of an old video game I use to play on Playstation.
My knees hurt so badly after walking down this steep hill.

Photobucket
We walked along the river to this metro station that is situated right above the water.

Something I really love about other cities (outside of the ones I lived in for a significant amount of time) is the markets.
Moscow has GREAT markets. One of them is a food market that I had heard of but never been to. Sarah Beth and I went, spent about $40 on fresh fruits and veggies, and I had about 15 conversations in Russian. It was great practice.

But my favorite market is the one in our neighborhood at Izmaylova. Our neighborhood is known for 2 big things: the gigantic park and the market.
The market is indescribable- it's another world where the rules are different, the dialects and languages change at every hall and you can literally get lost shopping.
I like to take people there because it really is like being in another country. Sometimes you are in China, Vietnam, the Caucasus, somewhere in the Middle East- all developing, and nothing western. The entire place is probably as big as the town I grew up in. You think you are in the market before you actually even see the high arched doorway. It is a maze inside. A maze where every hall has a different item. The first two halls as you enter are fur coats. Then some are shoes, purses, umbrellas, jeans, etc.

I usually just stay on the main path and enjoy all of the sights, sounds and smells. For the first time I ventured into the Asian part (Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, I really don't know) and bought some delicious tofu!! The only tofu I have been able to find here is the soft silken tofu that's really only good for making pudding or as an egg substitute.

But for $1.5/$2 (30/40 rubles) I found firm and smoked tofu!! This is a huge improvement for my diet since lent ended. This part of the market also has greens that I have never seen in Moscow, and never seen in my life. I can't wait to go back this weekend. They also have some things that are hard to see and stomach- chicken carcasses completely exposed, buckets of live fish bigger than my midsection, crawfish, squid, and all kinds of animal parts. All exposed and butchered how you want it on a piece of cardboard on the ground. Yeah, maybe buying anything from them is risky- but the tofu is pre packaged so I feel okay about it.

Here are general pictures of walking through the market:
Photobucket

Photobucket
They have these vendors that walk through the market and sell food, cigarettes, and even small stationary items. We saw a couple of guys with huge carts holding 10-20 melons, they were cutting them up with big machetes right there and selling them piece by piece.

Photobucket

Photobucket




‘Nothing can stop our independence now’ – breakaway republics

4 comments:

philologic said...

Yay! That was me! I was there! I want to come back! I miss you guys SOOOOOO much!

xoxoxoxox

Frankie Freitas said...

crap i wish i could visit. i wish you would have been around there last year when i went to iceland, i would have definitely tried to squeeze russia in the trip.
the blog is awesome.
the pictures are awesome.
im glad you're doing well.

Quintessential_Laura said...

I'm next! Russia looks and sounds so amazing, I would love to see some of the places you've talked about.

beth said...

dude, i miss you so fucking much! your pictures always make me want to come over there so bad. maybe one day after ashton and i get settled in CA and start planning a trip with some $$$... we'll see! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox